Sunday, January 15, 2012

Using Leftovers: Homemade Pot Pie

I seldom clip recipes but when I do, it has to be good.  This one really is and over the years I have made a few changes to this one for Quick Beef Pot Pie which is dated February 1990 from Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

Here is the original.

Enlarge by clicking on the photo, but in case you still can't read it... My changes are in italics.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 recipe beef  vegetable stew [or pot roast, bbq beef, cooked veggies, whatever you have]
  • 3 tbsp. margarine or butter [butter makes everything taste better]
  • 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  • 3/4 c. loose-pack frozen peas  [1/2 bag of peas]
  • 1  4-oz. can whole mushrooms, drained [I used fresh mushrooms and added onions and sautéed them together, layering the flavors]
  • 1 pkg. refrigerated biscuits [flaky are my favorite, but any will do, or homemade bread dough]
DIRECTIONS
1.  If frozen, thaw the beef and vegetable stew
2.  Melt margarine or butter in a large saucepan / pot
3. Stir in flour and the rosemary.  Stir continually until you get little lumps of flour mixed with the butter.
4.  Add milk all at once. Cook and stir regularly till thickened and bubbly.

[sauté mushrooms and onions--I also added more corn-- in a different skillet]


5.  Stir in the stew, peas and mushrooms. Cook til bubbly.



6. Pour into 2-quart casserole dish. 
7.  Halve biscuits crosswise.  Arrange them in two rings around outside edge of casserole.


8. Sprinkle with rosemary, if desired.  The rosemary really does add a nice flavor.
9.  Bake in 450 degree oven 8-10 minutes or until biscuit crust is golden brown. [I made this up ahead of time and had it in the refrigerator for a few hours until closer to dinnertime.  When ready to cook, I baked it at 300 degrees for 45 minutes and it was fine.]


This recipe made enough for one larger pot pie plus two individual pies.   My family loved it.  Layering the flavors by sauté-ing the veggies and having already cooked the beef in another meal makes all the difference in taste.  Enjoy!





No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...