Monday, December 13, 2010

Precious in the Sight of the Lord is the Death of His Saints / Dr. Roger Nicole

Psalm 116:15 
Precious in the sight of the LORD 
Is the death of His godly ones. 


At church on Sunday morning our pastor told us some sad news.  The Reformed Faith had lost a godly man--Dr. Roger Nicole, age 95, this past weekend, one day after his birthday.  My husband and I have been acquainted with Dr. Nicole through our church for many years where he has been a guest speaker on occasion.  I've also attended small gatherings where he was a guest.   I used to love listening to his accent--he was Swiss but also studied in France and his voice was so nice to hear.  I always thought it sounded more French than Swiss.   I don't say this often, but I would consider him a modern-day giant among the Christian faith, unstained, no scandal, just a very kind, godly man who taught and wrote essays, sermons, books and Bibles and blessed so many.    His sermons that I have heard were eloquent and precise, simple yet deep, as those from a man of his years should be.  I remember that he had a great sense of humor and always greeted me with a smile and a warm handshake.  In his later years he would always recognize me but I'm not sure that he remembered where he knew me or even what my name was.  But that's OK, because I hold the memories, as many of us do for those in their 80s and 90s that we may know.


There were a few photos of him on the internet, but I liked this one the best. :)


I frequent Reformed Theological Seminary 2x a week as I have mentioned previously on this blog.  




On one  visit into the library I came across an entire section of Dr. Nicole's personal library that had been donated to RTS.  Just browsing through his enormous collection of books and touching them made me feel wiser.  I recently sat outside in the RTS breezeway to do some reading and dropped something. When I stood up, I noticed a plaque affixed to the back of the bench on which I was sitting.


When I looked more closely, I read this...



If I had not dropped the item, I would not have noticed this sweet tribute to Dr. Nicole's wife of 61 years, Annette Cyr Nicole, who pre-deceased him in 2008.

The Lord welcomed one of His own this weekend, I am sure, with the words, Well done, good and faithful servant.  [Matt. 25:21]   We will all miss him.  Rest in peace, Dr. Nicole, and enter into the joy of your master.

More information on Dr. Nicole at THIS LINK.


To read his obituary, go to THIS LINK.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...