Monday, December 13, 2010

Brewing Hot Tea in Your Drip Coffee Pot

My husband and I love coffee but sometimes want a change from that routine. This week we  have switched over to hot tea.  I typically drink hot herb tea at night as part of my evening ritual before bedtime.  I always keep an assortment from which to choose.  Actually, anything hot will do, but tea has the least calories since I don't need to add sweetener or cream to it.  


My husband grew up with his mother making English breakfast tea (probably  Twinings) for him which I never even knew about.  So, to make something "just like Mom used to make" for him, I started brewing tea in the evenings.  I had some English breakfast tea so I used that initially for a single cup.   

We agreed to drink it for our morning hot beverage instead of coffee for awhile to see if we preferred it.  I always heat water and brew tea to make a pitcher of tea anyway, but I had not made it in a drip coffee pot before.  We have a Mr. Coffee which heats the water VERY hot so I tried it.  Perfect hot tea.  An entire pot plus it has a warmer to keep it hot.   Coffee left on too long gets a burned taste, but the tea does not appear to.


I use the large family sized tea bags from Lipton to make an entire pot.  I put it in the pot itself (not in the basket) and make sure it is laying on the bottom of the pot.  The little tag hangs over just a little from the top.  You don't want it to touch the burner and catch fire while you're getting  your morning shower!  I have not tried using dried tea leaves but I suppose you could put those in the basket filter and do the same.  With these teabags, I don't have to measure amounts of tea to use.



Try this little tip when you are in the mood for a pot of tea, especially on these cold winter days (even in Florida) that we've all been having lately.  Mrs. Tea is a product on the market but you really don't need both if you have  drip coffee maker.  

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...