Friday, December 3, 2010

Christmas Carols and Songs We Love : Good King Wenceslas

Not sure why Blogger changes the fonts and the spacing...can't seem to correct them.  :)


Good King Wenceslas
Words:    John Mason Neale, c. 1853
Music:  Thomas Helmore, 1582

This particular has always been one of my favorites.  I heard it last night sung by our Bach Festival Choir.  Generally it's sung at a rapid tempo.  When I  read the lyrics more slowly, sometimes they make me want to cry--a sweet story and a bit convicting as well.  


The legend is based on the life of the historical Saint Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia (907–935), known in the Czech language as Svatý Václav.  The carol does not mention Christ anywhere in the lyrics but the message of seeking out and giving to the needy is evident throughout.  This is one of those songs where you have to sing or read all of the verses to get the full meaning.  I've added my notes to tell the story in modern language.




To listen, go to THIS LINK.


My favorite children's book for this song is at THIS LINK.


More info at THIS LINK.

I personally have never heard this carol sung in a church setting.   If you have never listened to the words,  here they are for you:


Good King Wenceslas looked out
On the
feast of Stephen
When the snow lay round about
Deep and crisp and even
Brightly shone the moon that night
Though the frost was cruel
When a poor man came in sight
Gath'ring winter fuel

[King Wenceslas looked outside his castle on the evening of  Dec. 26, the day after Christmas, a/k/a/ Boxing Day.  It was a cold, snowy night.  He saw a poor man gathering wood, most likely, for a fire.]

"Hither, Page, and stand by me
If thou know'st it, telling
Yonder peasant, who is he?
Where and what his dwelling?"
"Sire, he lives a good league hence
Underneath the mountain
Right against the forest fence
By Saint Agnes' fountain."

[Unlike many of us, rather than just looking, he called his servant and asked who the peasant was and where he lived.  The page apparently had seen the man before and knew exactly where he lived.   St. Agnes' Fountain is in Bohemia.  Here is a current photo of it.]

"Bring me flesh and bring me wine
Bring me pine logs hither
Thou and I will see him dine
When we bear him thither."
Page and monarch forth they went
Forth they went together
Through the rude wind's wild lament
And the bitter weather

[This compassionate king tells the page to bring him meat and drink and some wood so that they can deliver them to the man.   They set out in the extreme cold to do so.]

"Sire, the night is darker now
And the wind blows stronger
Fails my heart, I know not how,
I can go no longer."
"Mark my footsteps, my good page
Tread thou in them boldly
Thou shalt find the winter's rage
Freeze thy blood less coldly."


[Since they are traveling at night on Dec. 26, it's getting later and colder and the page is becoming weak from traveling in these conditions.  The king tells him  to walk in his footsteps to make it easier on him.  Generally when traveling with royalty, a servant would be in the lead to protect his king. The roles are reversed here.]

In his master's steps he trod
Where the snow lay dinted
Heat was in the very sod
Which the Saint had printed
Therefore, Christian men, be sure
Wealth or rank possessing
Ye who now will bless the poor
Shall yourselves find blessing 



[The page does as the king told him and actually experienced warmth from the king's footprints.  Obviously a legend, it's probably meant to show the warmth of the king's heart toward his fellow man.  The song doesn't end with the delivery of the items to the poor man although it is assumed that they made it.  It ends instead with an admonition to us all, no matter what our financial status or position in society, that it we are blessed when we give to the poor.]




Acts 20:35 



You must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus,  
















that He Himself said,    









Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...