Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Surprise Gifts / Random or Planned Kindness

Last Wednesday I was having a not-so-good day. I came home from a harrowing afternoon and found a package in the mail for me.  What  a wonderful surprise--the 12-year-old daughter of long time family friends who live in Arkansas had made me this lovely purse and mailed it to me!  I had to shed  a tear when I opened the box. It was almost as if the Lord were saying "I have seen what you have gone through today and wanted to make sure you know that you are loved."







Her mom had called me a couple of months ago and mentioned that her daughter wanted to sew a purse for me and what colors would I like but I had really forgotten about it.  (This is the third one she had made--the other two were for her grandmothers.) So, I guess this was a "planned" surprise since it took her awhile to stitch it, then package and ship it to me.   Nevertheless, the thought of a younger one making me a handmade gift was just TOO sweet.  And it wasn't even my birthday or Christmas! Thank  you, Miriam. You can't imagine how receiving this cheered me up.  :)  I carried it to church with me on Sunday and since black is one of my basic colors I will be using it often. :)

What we make ourselves--artwork, sewing, cooking, woodwork, crafts, cards--becomes a gift like no other.  There are SO any things we can do with our hands.  They are truly gifts of self that mean more than you might think.  Brighten someone's day today with something as simple as a handwritten note of love or encouragement.  

Use your gifts and talents to bless someone this week by giving them a bit of yourself.

1Thessalonians 4:9-11 
Now as to the love of the brethren, you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; for indeed you do practice it toward all the brethren ... But we urge you, brethren, to excel still more,  and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you...

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...