Tuesday, July 21, 2009

FINANCES: Monthly Bills

“Therefore if you have not been faithful in the use of unrighteous wealth,
who will entrust the true riches to you?"
Luke 16:11

Every family divides up various responsibilies to keep a household running well. I was in finance prior to having children, so stewardship of the money in our household is generally left up to me. When my husband is paid each week, 10% comes off the top for a church tithe (more if another need arises). After that, another specific amount that I have pre-selected goes into savings, sometimes more, after the bills are paid. Next I review all the bills which I have clipped together. When a large bill is received, i.e. electric bill or the mortgage, I evenly divide that bill into however many weeks are left in the month, usually four. Index cards are prepared for the regular expenses with these divisions already notated on them. If we paid our mortgage with one week's salary we wouldn't eat that week. By doing this our cash flow remains about the same for each week of the month. It takes a little longer to balance the checkbook by doing this, but the peace of mind this practice has brought me more than makes up for it. I have recommended this to lots of moms who write the checks in the family so they're not short in any given week.

You may wonder about this practice of tithing. Some people teach it as a command; others disregard it as irrelevant altogether for "this day and age". Granted, it was required in the Old Testament, so for today I regard it as a guideline for me to gauge my trust and dependence on God, not as a requirement of the law from which we are free. Yes, there have been weeks when it was very difficult for me to write the check for our church, but over and over, through all these years (even the very lean ones) God has been so faithful when I/we have done so. There have actually been times when the checkbook was down to the last $10 (after I had written the church tithe) and $9 was all that we needed.

One of my favorite financial resources  is Crown Financial Ministries.  I download their podcasts and listen to them when I walk in the mornings or when I'm at the YMCA. Very insightful and helpful to anyone who is struggling in this economy or who just wants to maximize what God has given them. Above all, do not be afraid... if you are in debt, take one step at a time. There IS an answer and a freedom that comes from using your money as God intended.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...