Wednesday, July 22, 2009

FAITH: Reading Your Bible

Your word I have treasured in my heart,
That I may not sin against You.

Psalm 119: 11

Blogs certainly provide  interesting reading material in our current culture.  I see that I have 2 followers, yet 69 views to my profile today.  I know that I follow other blogs privately rather than publicly, so I'll assume that more than two people are reading this. :)

What do I say about reading the Bible?  Just one thing--do it.  Every single day for as long as you live.  Whether you read five verses or five chapters, just do it.  If you are a mom with little children, open your Bible to a passage and lay it out where you will see it each day.  That could be near your changing table (in which case, you'll read it a LOT), in your kitchen or where you drink your coffee.  If you were rushed to get to work, use one of your breaks or part of your lunch hour  to read a section or two.   Or read it at night in lieu of a TV program or  before going to bed.  If you are at home all day, you can figure out when it is best for you to read. Or, if you're online a lot, there are many Bibles accessible there for free.

I prefer reading in the mornings  usually sometime before 9 a.m.  I have read through the entire Bible many times but I prefer to use a One Year Bible for this purpose.  With a Bible like this, there is a specific reading for each of the 365 days in the year:  an Old Testament passage, a New Testament passage, some Psalms and few verses from Proverbs. Usually  takes about 20 minutes.   I've done this with a chronological Bible as well but finding a specific passage is a little more difficult.

My study Bible is separate --I'll cover studying the Bible another time.  

I'm not reading the Bible as a history book although there certainly is a lot of history nor am I reading it for literature although that genre of reading material is there as well.  I am specifically seeking wisdom for this specific day of my life, for my family, for my ministries, for our future...Yes, I do believe that the Word of God is absolutely true and that God speaks directly to my heart.  Just Him and me spending time  together, giving me my daily bread.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...