Tuesday, July 21, 2009

FAMILY & FRIENDS: Planning for the School Year


So teach us to number our days,
That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90: 12

I need to organize this blog just like I try to organize everything else I do on a regular basis. It helps me from getting crazy. The topic schedule for this blog generally will be...
  • Monday & Thursday: Family
  • Tuesday & Friday: Finances
  • Wednesday & Sunday: Faith
  • Saturday: Fun
This is the entry for Monday, July 20.

This week I am finalizing the plans for my younger son's 10th grade year. We homeschool and the county requires 170-180 days of attendance per school year. I like to build in week-long fall and spring breaks, several weeks off in December and 1-2 days off on the other months. We both need a break from each other although with 2 classes outside the home three days a week, that will take care of itself more this year. I've already done some of the preliminary work of choosing the courses and purchasing all the books and supplies needed. Seeing the next 9 months (of his life and my life) already mapped out on a calendar makes me realize how short our time together really is. In one glance, it's already Christmas and I can visualize next summer's vacation!

Don't get me wrong, I do live one day at a time and try to make the most of each day, but working so often with a linear calendar puts it all into perspective. I did a timeline of my life in a women's Bible study one time which is a good exercise for anyone to do. The major moments, life changes, important dates... they are but a blip in a timeline that has a definite beginning and an end. At 53, of course, more than half of my life has already passed. I need to pursue living abundantly in the time that remains.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...