Thursday, July 23, 2009

FAMILY & FRIENDS: Memories


Do not call to mind the former things,or ponder things of the past. Behold, I will do something new, now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it?

Isaiah 43: 18-19


Memories light the corners of my mind...I've always liked that old Barbra Streisand song even though it sounds a little sad in parts. I am amazed at how God created the human mind--when I think of how much information, color, voices, pictures and events are stored in just mine alone, multiplied by all the people in the world, well, it's mind-boggling! Of course there are memories that we don't ever want to forget and often, many that we wish we could; some we have a part in making, others that we were unwilling participants.

For those who want to forget or be healed from a hurtful injury, it helps to go back in time in your mind and relive that experience knowing that the Lord is there with you. The solitude in a hurtful incident can make it seem worse even long after the experience ended. I did this myself at the advice of a dear friend long ago to help me forgive someone. The memory is still there but the pain of it, for the most part, is gone.

For those who want to remember everything well in detail and in color, be thankful that God has given you a mind such as this, but continue to move forward. Sometimes we get stuck in a memory and don't want it to end--current events can pass you by if you too long and too frequently in the past. For moms, this tends to be the case as their children get older and independence begins to assert itself which is as it should be. For me, I want to live in the moment with those people I care about and help them to do the same, making new memories and growing together today. Each day we're given is a gift--that's why they call it the present.

1 comment:

Virginia Knowles said...

Tonya, I wrote an article about this concept a couple of years ago. You can find "Truth and Grace in the Stories of our Lives" at http://www.virginiaknowles.com/truthandgracestories. Maybe this will be helpful to someone! ~~ Virginia

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...