Monday, May 23, 2011

WEEKEND FUN: Royal Wedding Tea Party / Let's Make Hats

My husband's cousin and her husband invited us over on Saturday for a fun afternoon/evening together.  We had all enjoyed watching the Royal Wedding a few weeks ago and since my husband had visited England in March (while the kids and I were in DC), we decided to have a fun tea party.

She set a lovely afternoon high tea for us.  Doesn't this look beautiful?  Two kinds of English teas, cucumber/mint sandwiches, clotted cream, lemon curd, scones, shortbread...all of course, on beautiful china.


While having tea, we turned on a pre-wedding show about the Royal Wedding preparations and  busied ourselves with decorating our hats.  We were dressed in fancy dresses for the occasion.  [I know the royal wedding invitations specified long sleeves, but hey, it was 95 degrees that day!]  Our husbands had plenty to do playing with a new high-tech gadget we had just purchased that morning for our anniversary.  :)





The men were told they could just wear plain T-shirts and shorts and we decorated their shirts with royal doo-dads, too.  They tolerated the royal fittings and I think they enjoyed it all, too.   Notice the royal garters, "military" mortarboards and "medals" they are wearing?   :)   :)


Several hours later, we sat down to a delicious candlelight dinner of salad, homemade bread and shepherd's pie. 



I made butterbeer for dessert.  I'll post the recipe tomorrow since it was much better than the one I made after visiting Harry Potter at Universal Studios last summer.  You'll love it!


After dinner, we watched a slideshow of my husband's trip to England and fell asleep (just kidding--well, I did doze off a bit).  :)    A very fun, creative  time with family.  

NOTE:  This would be so much fun to do as an activity for a little girl's birthday, ladies event, or even a bridal shower.






2 comments:

Amy said...

I was just telling Mallory's mom about how I can't wait for Amelia to get older and do fun stuff like this! (not that it's not fun now... but she can't help in planning.) I mentioned going to a hotel downtown for high tea, but this is so much better! :) Thanks!

zerry ht said...

Elated to know about the wedding tea party. I am planning a bridal shower for my sister at one of the stylish NYC wedding venues next month. Want to make her day special. Thinking of a fashion theme party for all our friends and cousins. Hoping for the best.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...