Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Recipe: Homemade Oyster Dressing for Thanksgiving Christmas Holidays

Almost everyone has stuffing / dressing for Thanksgiving and often for Christmas or New Year's as well.  Here is my recipe for Oyster Dressing (my husband's favorite) which always gets devoured to the last little bit...



INGREDIENTS

  • Stove Top Stuffing, 1 -2 boxes (or Pepperidge Farm)
  • Bread of any type
  • Water chestnuts
  • Pecans or walnuts
  • Whole cranberry sauce
  •  Smoked oysters, 2 small tins
  • Butter, 1 stick, melted
  • Chicken broth (canned or homemade) to moisten

I start with one box of Stove Top stuffing because it is seasoned so well.  Then I grind up bread to crumbs in my little food processor.  You can use 2 boxes of stuffing or just one and have more natural bread if you prefer.  That's what I usually do.  You just need about 4-5 cups of bread something with seasonings in it.

  



Next, I process  a can of water chestnuts...and other nuts (pecans or walnuts taste great in this).



Then add an entire can of whole cranberry sauce...



Then the oysters.  It doesn't look very tasty at this point but the oyster flavor is spread throughout the dressing when you process it in to a paste like this.




Then pour on the butter.  For this quantity I added 1 cup of broth, either homemade or canned.  Add enough to moisten the dressing.



Mix it all together ... I use my hands to make sure it's all moist.  It will be quite dense, and put it into a large covered casserole dish.  I'll bake it on Thanksgiving Day for about an hour at 300 degrees, just before we sit down to dinner.  It really is delicious.

I'll add the final photo after it is cooked tomorrow.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...