Friday, June 10, 2011

What Breakfast Cereals do You Serve Your Family?

I eat cereal many days of the week for breakfast. Not just because it's easy but I just love the taste of certain ones.  My husband's favorite is Shredded Wheat (he used to eat Raisin Bran until I told him how much sugar is in it); my favorites are Cheerios and/or Grapenuts.    Those are about the only cold cereals we keep in the house.   Great Grains, every now and then for variety but that has a fair amount of sugar in it also.  I've never purchased anything like Cap'n Crunch, Cocoa Puffs or Trix but you'll occasionally find PopTarts in the pantry.  I'm not THAT particular.  :)


In warmer weather I like to cook oatmeal with raisins and/or apples.  The more whole grains the better, if you're going to eat cereal at all.   My family also enjoys scrambled eggs with peppers, onions and turkey sausage/bacon occasionally.  Some days I just have a fresh smoothie made with my VitaMix  On Sundays I often bake cinnamon rolls for a sweet treat.    Whatever works for your family, but try to buy/serve on the healthier side of the spectrum if possible.  Be sure to check out coupon policies such as the Walmart Coupon Policy before purchasing cereals.  You may think you have a great deal and it actually is not when you arrive at the checkout register.

Here is my favorite summer cereal with a handful of almonds and fresh blueberries and a cup of hot tea or coffee.  Mmm...


1 comment:

Linda said...

I was the same way about Raisin Bran till I saw all the sugar...unreal! We like the Whole Grain Cheerios and I love the blueberries and almonds in your picture! We often add that as well only use the sliced almonds and sometimes banana.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...