Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cleaning Out / Decluttering / Parting with an Old Friend

If you know me or have read this blog for any length of time, you know that I am always decluttering, throwing out (as often as I can slip things past my family), giving away and selling items around the house.   Recently, I parted with a piece of furniture that we purchased in 1989, a month or so before our first son was born.




Yes, this was the first rocking chair of my very own which was purchased for $40 specifically to rock our first child.  I spent many hours holding my precious little ones over the years in this chair.  I took these photos before giving it away to a young friend of mine (a former piano student) who is moving in to her first apartment.  I thought long and hard about parting with this chair. I have a second rocker which is actually more comfortable and I don't really need two.   I also held the kids in that one as well.  But this was the FIRST one.  It didn't really "clutter" up the living room but there is definitely more room in there now that it's gone.  

I'll always carry the memories of those middle of the night feedings rocking my two sons to sleep after nursing them and just holding them there when they were little.  Sigh...I better go get a tissue.  Sweet memories...which I hold in my heart.  :)  Take good care of the chair, Amanda.  :)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Tonya, I have an identical bentwood rocker that I too rocked all three of my babies in! The family tried to sell it on Craig's List when they were having all the yard sales, but the cane seat is broken through and no one bought it. So there it sits, in my basement, holding all those memories. I may just might have to get it fixed! I'm not good at all about parting with sentimental things..

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...