Friday, August 12, 2011

RECIPE USING LEFTOVERS: Bananas AND Cereal

Here is another recipe from my Use It All Leftovers cookbook...Banana Muffins.  Similar to the previous one I posted only this recipe uses leftover bananas AND leftover cereal.

I don't know about your house, but at mine when the  bananas start looking like this, no one will touch them except me.  It's like they have a disease or something.  I think I could let them set on the counter and literally turn to decomposed liquid and still, no one would say anything or touch them.  :)   When too soft to slice or eat from the peel, I use them to make bananas bread, banana muffins or just freeze them for smoothies at a later time.  



Here is the cookbook again.  It's an old one and I love it.  Still available on Amazon even though it's vintage.


Here is the recipe [I always write the date in the cookbook the first time I try a new recipe].  Just click on the recipe to enlarge it.


I substituted Great Grains cereal for the All-Bran this time and have also used Grapenuts.   I imagine you could use any cereal you have on hand.    Same thing with the cereal at my house... if there is 1/3 cup of cereal left in the box, no one will touch it.  I guess they don't want to be the last one to use the last little bit of something because then it has to be written on the shopping list!  :)   

Although I did sift the dry ingredients into the cereal, I added everything else all at once, then stirred by hand for about a minute.  Three whole bananas = about 1 1/2 cups mashed.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and you have a fresh, hot bread in about 30 minutes.

This recipe makes 12 large muffins and they really are good.  Great for Saturday morning breakfast or to accompany your dinner tonight.


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...