Friday, August 5, 2011

RECIPE: Cheesy Hash Browns Casserole Recipe

We were served this dish at my nephew's welcome home party a few weeks ago.  I got the recipe and made it this week for our National Night Out neighbor gathering.  Very easy and most ingredients are on hand.  Very tasty, definitely NOT low-cal but you can make alterations.  Everyone loved it.

CHEESY HASH BROWNS CASSEROLE



INGREDIENTS

  • 1  2-lb. bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (I suppose you could make these fresh as well.  You can also use diced hash browns--see comment below)
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 pt. (2 cups) sour cream
  • 1 stick butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • Salt to taste
  • Bread crumbs, potato chips, corn flakes or tortilla chips (OPTIONAL) [the photo above is with corn flakes]


DIRECTIONS
  1. In a LARGE mixing bowl, add onion and cheese to the thawed potatoes
  2. Mix remaining ingredients and add to potato mixture
  3. May top with buttered bread crumbs, crushed potato chips or crushed tortilla chips.
  4. Bake in 9 x 13 greased dish for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.  
  5. We broiled it for about 2 minutes to get the top crispy brown but WATCH while doing this so it doesn't burn.

I had never purchased shredded hash browns before, so if you haven't either, this is what they look like (Publix brand).  It's not quite 2 lbs, but close enough.


My mini-food processor makes quick work (about 20 seconds) of shredding cheese.  This little appliance of mine  is 25 years old and still going strong!  I guess it's officially vintage now.  :)  My parents bought this for me back in my single days after  I had just  purchased my first home (a condo) in 1985. 



Everything mixed together in my largest mixing bowl.  I need plenty of elbow  room to stir so everything stays in the bowl and NOT on the kitchen counter!


Finished dish is in the first photo at the top of this blog post.  
Take this dish to your next potluck or serve to  your family and guests.  
They will love it.


1 comment:

Linda said...

This is one of our favorite potato dishes, especially when served with ham! You can also use diced hash browns rather than shredded. Yummy goodness for sure!

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...