Thursday, August 18, 2011

Homeschool Curriculum and Classes 12th Grade 2011

Well, the planning is over and school has begun.  I thought you might like to see what we are doing for 12th grade this year.   Although college classes begin August 22 and most public schools began classes this week, we actually started on Friday, July 29.  

I like to plan our school calendar with 1-2 days off each month, one week off in October, November, and March and about three weeks off in December.  Seniors at our umbrella school have to be finished with everything by May 9, so in order to accomplish that, we have to begin a little early.  It is SO worth it.    I can't believe this is our final year of homeschooling OR that my "baby" will graduate from high school and begin college next year!.

Courses for this year and some of the books we are using:
  • Composition  2  [Dual Enrollment at community college]
  • College Algebra [Dual Enrollment at community college]
  • Psychology (1 semester)
    • Biblical Counseling Foundation manual
  • Personal, Family and Social Relationships / Bible  (1 semester)
    • Biblical Counseling Foundation manual
  • American History
    • United States History, A Beka
Three classes are taught by others; a couple are primarily reading and some are independent study work.  By 10th grade in high school I hopefully have taught my children to be able to work well independently for the most part in preparation for dual enrollment in their senior year and in college.  I review the lesson plans, answers to my questions/comments and devotional notes at the end of the week (some things daily) to make sure that everything that needs to be done has been completed. 

I also require that they read one book per month.   I haven't completed my book list yet but here are a few titles for this year:

Some of these I have on our bookshelves already from our older son's reading, some I ordered for free through Paperback Swap [see link on the RH sidebar].


Three SAT and ACT testings have been completed and so far, my younger son qualifies for a 75% Bright Futures scholarship.  We continue on the search for other essay-based scholarships to help pay for college expenses when he begins in 2012.

If you have a student in the 11th grade, you may find my list from that time helpful at THIS LINK.

If you are just beginning the homeschool journey, relax and have fun.  Take it one day at a time and just love your children as you learn together.  :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...