Wednesday, August 17, 2011

COUPONS: Inexpensive Cheap Date Night: Dinner / Takeout from Smokey Bones

After a full week of work usually the last thing my husband wants to do on Friday nights is go out. I admit, I'm ready to relax as well.  Last Friday we had an inexpensive date night in:  Dinner / takeout and a movie at home.  

Every month or so, Smokey Bones puts these great coupons in the Sunday paper.  This past Sunday (August 14) there were at least two more in the paper plus since I get the neighbor's newspaper coupons, I now have three to use for this coming month. 

Coupon from the newspaper:  $10 off a $20 purchase (combined items = one purchase), expired August 13, 2011.  I'm glad I checked the date because it was only valid through the day that I used it.  I hate to waste good coupons.



This is really a great coupon.  We used to use them for bulk pulled pork which bought enough for about 6 meals (I bought buns and made the sides).  We also have used it for a rack of ribs as well.  The restaurant wised up though and now no longer permits this, so you have to be calculating to get the maximum benefit from this coupon.  I needed to order something fairly large to split between two people.

Before ordering takeout I  checked the online MENU to see what was available.  We don't eat steak very often so I chose the New York Strip 12 oz. steak ($17.99) which comes with two regular sides.  That is PLENTY of red meat for two people.  I ordered one Fancy side, the Loaded Mashed Potatoes ($2.99--but they didn't charge me since I replaced the two regulars with that).  I was still short just a bit--the total has to be $20 BEFORE tax) so I also ordered a flavored Passion Fruit  iced tea which was very good.  I think the total was about $22.00 - $10.00 coupon = $12.00 for a nice dinner for two.

If we had actually gone to Smokey Bones, it's unlikely we would have split a meal.  Typically everyone buys something separate.  The portions are certainly large enough to do so, but I rarely can get my husband to do this.  If we had both ordered steak, our bill would have been at least $40.00.

I made a nice spinach avocado salad at home and voila, a great meal for $12.00.  I had some leftover cherry pie that a guest had brought for us last week that was our dessert.   We enjoyed our meal while we watched a movie from Netflix.


Take advantage of the coupons, Entertainment Club books, etc. that you may have or receive.  With a little pre-planning you'll find that they really do save you a lot of money.   They're not just for groceries anymore.  :)

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...