Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hospitality Tip: Folding Cloth Napkins / Using Your Good China & Crystal

We use cloth napkins almost exclusively at our house.  I pick them up on sale at stores and nice-neighborhood yard sales as well.  Not opposed to paper and if I can buy them at a great price, I'll stock up.  [Found 1,000 last year at Sam's Club for $2.00!]   Using cloth napkins, however, is  one of my few "green" efforts.

Anyway, last week I had a small ladies luncheon here as a birthday surprise for a sweet friend.  At the last minute, and I mean 20 minutes before everyone arrived, I had a crazy idea of folding the napkins in a different way.  Don't laugh, I do last-minute changes all the time.

The table looked nice with the napkins folded flat...


I went to the internet, googled "how to fold cloth napkins" and found THIS SITE on how to fold them. I picked what I thought looked pretty simple [it was the first photo on the page].  They recommended ironing them but, no time for that.  It took me about 20 seconds to fold this.  I even put this on my Pinterest board. :)


In  less than five minutes (8 guests) I had them all folded.


A special touch for special friends.

P.S.  Are you using your good china and crystal regularly? Or does it stay in quilted storage containers or sit in your china cabinet?   [I realize that many of the young couples don't even register for this anymore.]  

This is our wedding china.  My husband and I married at an older age [38 and 31] and had a large wedding since both of us had lived here for most of our lives.  Our friends and family were very generous so we have place settings of china and crystal for twelve.   I use some of the pieces each week, for our family and our guests.  Why save it for __________?  When the meal is finished, it goes in the dishwasher.  I've been doing this for 24+ years and it still looks great.


Who is more special than your family to use your best things?  Your friends feel appreciated as well.  Just another way to show others that you love them.

I generally ask everyone to bring something to share when hosting a meal.  Most people enjoy helping with the food and feel a part of the hospitality at the same time when doing so.  Plus, it takes the pressure off of me since I truly am just an "average" cook.  That way, I can enjoy the party, too!  :)


One of my favorite authors on homemaking, organization and hospitality is Emilie Barnes.  I have been reading her books for many years and wish I knew her personally [Her website].  She's an organizer, like I am, so I feel like I already know her in a way.  I have several of her books.  Two of her titles about hospitality are:   Homewarming and Welcome Home.  I  own the latter book and refer to it occasionally for ideas. The way it's written,  a tour of her own home, feels like you've just visited and had coffee with her.  :)  Browse through one or both for some ideas on making others feel welcome in your home, and click on the link above on her name  for a list of her other books which you may find helpful as well.  






Romans 12:10-13 
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; 
give preference to one another in honor;  
not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, 
serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, 
devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints,
 practicing hospitality...







3 comments:

Linda said...

Totally agree Tonya about using your china and cloth napkins! If I put a salad plate on the dinner plate, I use water goblets to display the napkins. Or, there are lots of creative things to tie around each napkin to personalize or add color. Will have to pick up one of those books!

Mrs. T. said...

Using a water goblet is a nice idea, too. Thanks, Linda!

Kathy said...

Great post Tonya! I don't have crystal or china, but I almost always use my "good stuff" and cloth napkins for friends, family and just us. Rare exception: 20+ people who come once a month; then it's real silverware & glasses but paper plates and napkins for sure.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...