Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Gardening / Cultivating Germinating Seeds

A friend planted a small blackberry bush in our yard and the tiny flowers have now turned to blackberries! Here is the 2nd one, not quite ripe yet  (first one was eaten by ants since it was on the ground).


Spring is in the air and I've finally gotten around to planting seeds. 
Flowers from three flats are in the ground as well.  
Here are a few of the petunia plants.


Using this seed germination kit, I also planted beans, peas, tomatoes, chives, parsley and basil.


I used to do this even when I lived in a condominium with a tiny yard, so here goes...



A few are sprouting after just one day!


UPDATE 5.3.11
2 weeks later...

I had my husband and two sons hoist these large terra cotta pots from the back yard.  We put them in the front yard to the side near a basketball hoop that is rarely used anymore.   We filled them with soil and put the seedlings in.  They surround the little blackberry bush which is still producing a little fruit each day.  :)  I also planted marigolds around the pots to keep bugs away.  We'll see how the garden grows!


Garden 5.25.11
3 weeks later...


Garden 6.15.11
...4 weeks later

I've been cutting basil and parsley; lemon balm and rosemary are doing great.  I apparently planted the green beans too late, but picked these green peas this morning.  :)



Lots of green tomatoes, but no red ones yet. 





More flowers...


These replaced the petunias which accidentally were mulched over by someone
who was tidying up our yard and raking leaves.  He replaced them all for me though.  :)


A new yard flag for the front.  :)




No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...