Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Dinner Doctor / Chicken & Wild Rice Recipe

I tried a new recipe last night--Chicken and Wild Rice Recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks The Dinner Doctor.  The same author, Anne Byrn,  has written another cookbook you may be familiar with titled The Cake Mix Doctor (I think that was her first one).   I just discovered that she makes a Gluten Free Cake Mix book also!

The recipe was quite tasty and VERY easy to make... I had all the ingredients on hand in my pantry.

I boiled three large chicken breasts and then tore it all into small pieces... I had bought Sam's Club's store brand, Member's Mark, chicken last time. The chicken breasts were HUGE so I only needed three.  Tyson breasts are significantly smaller.


Next, I put all of these ingredients into a large bowl--Cream of Celery soup, green beans, long grain & wild rice (with its seasoning packet), water chestnuts, mayonnaise (3 squirts from a squeezable bottle) and 1 1/2 cups of broth from the cooked chicken.  I'd much rather use fresh broth than the salty canned broth in stores.   The recipe called for pimentos and I did not have any so I chopped up a small yellow and a red pepper for color.


Mix it all together in the large bowl.



By the way, here is the cookbook (one I actually use!)  and the recipe...




Pour everything into a large 9 x 13 casserole dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

I had some leftover broth which I put in a quart mason jar to use another time. If I haven't used it in 2 days, I'll freeze it.


Here is how the casserole looks when it is done.


And at our dinner table.  Goes great with some red strawberries (see my red lipstick rule) and blueberry muffins.  Mmmm...

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...