Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas Blues? Try Serving or Helping Others

I can't remember when I have had the winter / Christmas blues.  This past weekend I definitely did due to some stressful situations totally out of my control.  My husband was away for two days and  I was getting anxious about something that hadn't even happened yet!  Our imaginations can be a bad thing sometimes.  I was moping around a bit on Friday and a little on Saturday morning.  I had already committed myself to play the piano at one of our local hospitals over the holidays, so I got out the Christmas music on Saturday and played for about 30 minutes at home, then went on down to the hospital.  Thankfully, it's close to our home and since I had done this last year, I was already signed up and had my Volunteer badge / ID card.

What a difference playing and serving others made in my attitude!  I was so glad that I went.  I played for more than an hour, met some interesting people, cheered up more than a few and "warmed the heart" of at least one employee working in the lobby.   Now, I can't wait to go back next week  and play a few more times up through Christmas Eve/Day.

Next time you're in a slump, try reaching out to someone else and cheering them up.  There are many over the holidays who might need a friend, some conversation and a little company.  I know that I would hate to be in the hospital over the holidays, so again, I'm so glad that I am offering my gift of music to others  this Christmas season.  Who knows?  The familiar traditional Christmas carols may be the only "gospel" some hear this holiday time.  Most people know the words from memory, particularly the older ones, and it may become new to them for the first time in their time of need (loved ones in the hospital).  I pray that it does and that I can bless many in this way.




No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...