Monday, March 28, 2011

BOOK STUDY: Twelve Extraordinary Women / Mary--Blessed Among Women

It's been a couple of weeks since I've continued with this book--spring break, family vacation, working on our taxes...

Twelve Extraordinary Women by John MacArthur
Chapter 6
Mary: Blessed Among Women


Luke 1: 26-38
Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin 1engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the descendants of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary.  And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.” 

There is so much controversy among denominations about Mary.  The Bible makes it clear that she herself knew she was profoundly blessed by God (Luke 1:48) not that she was a fountain of grace to be given to others.  That role is for her Son, Jesus, alone.  She is not the mediator between God and us. Again, that is the role of Christ.  Much superstition and religious tradition lead many to worship her, pray to her and trust her for salvation which totally contradicts what scripture, and Jesus Himself,  says about her (Luke 11: 26-28).  

What we can learn from Mary's example is her humility.  Here is the mother of the Lord here on earth who remains mostly in the shadows being Joseph's wife and Jesus' mom.  I fear that I myself might have wanted to "slip" and let everyone know just who my son was if it had been me.  Mary was certainly in a difficult situation after the angel appeared to her with the news of having a baby and not being married.  There is no indication in scripture that she was afraid of what would happen but trusted God for the outcome  (Luke 1:38). She had great joy over the Lord's plan for her.

Wow!  How do I / you react when we recognize His plan for us and it becomes uncomfortable, awkward or even painful at times?  Mary was probably a young teenager when all this transpired yet her maturity is amazing in the midst of such circumstances and unknowns.  I pray that I continue to grow (yes, even at my age) and respond with worship to the Lord rather than anxiety and/or complaints.  How about you?

The Magnificat

And Mary said: 
My soul exalts the Lord, 
And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. 
For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; 
For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. 
For the Mighty One has done great things for me; And holy is His name. 
AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION 
TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM. 
He has done mighty deeds with His arm; 
He has scattered those who were proud in the2thoughts of their heart. 
He has brought down rulers from their thrones, 
And has exalted those who were humble. 
HE HAS FILLED THE HUNGRY WITH GOOD THINGS; 
And sent away the rich empty-handed. 
He has given help to Israel His servant, 
In remembrance of His mercy, 
As He spoke to our fathers, 
To Abraham and his descendants forever.









No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...