Sunday, January 23, 2011

Decluttering: One 15-Minute Project at a Time

Since the passing of my mother a couple of weeks ago, it seems there are less hours in the day than usual with all the extra things I need to be taking care of.  That should slow down in about 2 weeks so for now my goal of decluttering one hour a day has been reduced to short 15-minute projects.  I actually did four of these this weekend.  Get out a kitchen timer, set it for 15 minutes  and stop when it goes off.   You can always set it for another 15 if you really get into this.


These small projects may not seem like much but oh, what a difference tidying up a small space, or a drawer, or a shelf can make, both in the way things look  and the way you feel looking at it!  :)

Here are a few photos of some of our 15-minute projects this weekend:

Project #1:    This is my (and my husband's) quiet time spot.  I organized the basket where we keep devotional books, highlighters, pens and paper.  It was a huge jumbled MESS before I started. I forgot to take BEFORE photos but will do that next time.


SO much tidier!


Project #2:  In the same room is my piano and a keyboard for teaching music lessons.  I had not even put away my Christmas music yet!  It is all stored with other books in the cabinet where the green lamp sits above.   After putting the music away, I organized the large black basket where I keep a few teaching supplies:  flash cards, rhythm makers, metronome, headphone adapters, shakers, etc.   I should take a horizontal photo so you can see it better.

It sits tucked away between the keyboard table (an antique architectural drawing table) and my piano.  SO much tidier!  Ready for quiet reading, guests and piano students.


I feel like I can breathe now (especially after dusting things off)!   As a bonus, this weekend my husband got motivated and cleaned up our home office plus his dresser and book cabinet in our bedroom. He didn't set a timer and just kept working.  Wow!





Our office, master bedroom and living room are basically done, keeping in mind that there are drawers and shelves that are perfect 15-minute projects.  So, set your timer and start decluttering!


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...