Monday, September 5, 2022

Genealogy: How I Found My DNA Relatives, Part 5

 Genealogy: How I Found My DNA Relatives, Part 5


My Adoption Records


Isaiah 48:6  …I proclaim to you new things from this time, even hidden things which you have not known.  (I know this verse is taken out of context, but it certainly fits the situation.)


This part is such a miracle.  I love retelling how these events transpired...


I had now determined my mother’s family but which sister was my mother? There were 5 sisters. I had it narrowed down from 5 —> 4 and finally to 2.  I really had to get this correct because one sweet woman as I mentioned previously, thought I may be her sister (her older sister has passed away a couple of years ago). I thought I was her sister also, so I absolutely prayed for the Lord to show me which sister…


I called the Clerk of the Court in South Carolina where I was born, twice, one month apart. Both people who  answered said that all adoption records are sealed unless you have a court order. Period. I searched through their website twice.  Multiple places on the website state that all adoption records are sealed.  I called my genealogist friend for help.  She told me to “call back one more time and make friends with whoever answers the phone”.  She really said these exact words.  I couldn’t believe it.  So, in faith, I took her advice and called one last time. She was just the push I needed for one last try...

I called and the sweet young woman who answered asked me what year I had been born (no one had asked me that).  I told her and she said “those records are upstairs. They are only sealed from 1962 on.”  I almost started crying AND almost dropped the phone. 


This really happened— she said “we are having a tornado warning… can I call you back?”  I was afraid to let her off the phone in case she forgot or was just giving me a line.   She DID call back…twice.  Once to tell me the records were there and that she was sending her aide upstairs to get them.  A second time to read me my mother’s name from the adoption records.  [It was one of the two that we thought.] She scanned those as well as my name change from Baby Girl Valencia to my name and emailed them to me.

What a miraculous turn of events.  I printed the documents and just kept looking at  them.  In my entire life, I had never seen them. Not even when cleaning out my parents’ homes after they passed away.  So now, there was no question who my biological mother was.




The sister/cousin was in reality my first cousin. By now, she had also done a DNA test which doubly confirmed everything. We were both thrilled. As she so sweetly said… “one more family member to love”.  She is such a treasure. Our whole family visited her and her husband in their home plus one other cousin while we were in Albuquerque. We have stayed in regular contact with each other since. Such a gift. 


 

 

Thank You, Lord. He had known all along and wanted me to know also. I just had to wait for the appropriate time.


The final post of this story will be on Thursday…

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...